06-2023 tub reglazing 34

Factors to Consider Before Refinishing Your Bathtub

More labor than you might imagine goes into renovating a bathtub. In actuality, the work that is done prior to painting the bathtub is around 98 percent of a bathtub restoration project. The other 2 percent employs a high-quality bathtub restoration coating and a skilled bathtub refinisher’s technique. You should ask yourself a few questions if you believe that your bathtub needs to be refinished.

What Does It Mean to Refinish My Bathtub?

Bathtub refinishing, commonly referred to as reglazing or resurfacing, is the process of applying a coating to a bathtub surface to refresh the appearance.

You can usually get your bathtub refinished. The most popular bathtub materials are steel, fiberglass, cast iron, and acrylic. Before thinking about bathtub refinishing, it would be wise to ascertain the type of bathtub you have and whether it has already undergone refinishing. In some situations, a different refinishing strategy may be required.

Can I Do DIY Refinishing?

As was already mentioned, refinishing a bathtub involves a lot more than just wiping off the surface and applying a finish. It will ultimately cost you more to have a bathtub that has been badly resurfaced than if you had just engaged a professional bathtub refinisher to do the job in the first place. Although there are a few DIY bathtub refinishing products available, none of them will perform as you would anticipate, and a peeling bathtub bottom is one of the most common complaints. This situation involves two factors: inadequate preparation and subpar product. A quality bathtub refinishing product should be used, and it should be applied by a professional, to ensure that the finished result looks excellent and lasts.

What Steps Are Involved in Bathtub Refinishing?

In essence, the procedure is cleaning the bathtub surface, masking off the surrounding regions, then painting the bathtub surface like you would a car. The methods used by different refinishers vary, nevertheless. In the past, a refinisher would use a highly potent hydrofluoric acid to etch bathtub surfaces, removing the shine and creating pits so an epoxy primer would have something to adhere to. This was done to ensure that there was a strong enough adhesive to the bathtub before the new glossy finish was applied, and many refinishers still use this technique today. This procedure functions admirably when used correctly, but not all refinishers are created equal, as was already mentioned. This is what I mean when I say that not all refinishers will take the time to finish the job honestly and correctly.

The modern era of bathtub refinishing has replaced the traditional method. In the modern era of bathtub refinishing, the surface is simply cleaned with a powerful cleanser before an adhesive is placed to form a molecular link between it and the new glossy finish. This method of refinishing is significantly quicker and, in my opinion, has a much better track record for successfully completing bathtubs.


When looking for a skilled bathtub refinisher, you need to be cautious. Make that they are qualified to perform the task and have received the necessary bathtub refinishing training. Ensure that they choose a bathtub refinishing solution with a proven track record. Verify references that are at least a few years old to determine if the clients are still satisfied, and ensure the refinisher instructs you on the necessary upkeep. These actions will guarantee that your bathtub restoration experience will be positive.

Call Now Button